Sunday, June 1, 2014

Happy Birthday to My Baby Sister


Dear young man,
I see you have expressed a desire to take my baby sister on a date. As a big brother, and seeing as I am unable to interview you in person, before Kylie may accept a request for a date, she must receive emailed permission from me, her big brother. In order for her to receive permission, I need you to send me an email in which you will answer some questions. I check my email every Monday, so be sure to send your request in advance. My email isCody.Jorgensen@Myldsmail.net Thank you so much for your cooperation. (Failure to answer a question correctly does not immediately deny you the opportunity to go on a date with my sister. None of us are perfect, but God looks upon rebellion a lot different than weakness, and so do I.)
One last thing to remember before you begin! 

34 Wo unto the liar, for he shall be thrust down to hell.
 (2 Nephi 9:34)

1: Are you a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?
2: Have you been ordained to the office of a priest?
3: Do you take part in the administration of the sacrament every week?
4: What are you planning to do with my sister?
5: How many other couples will be accompanying you?
6: When will she be home?
7: What is your favorite scripture? Why?
8: Where do you hope to serve your mission?
9: Are you attending missionary preparation classes?
10: Do you have a desire to follow the guidelines given to us from modern day prophets, and apostles regarding dating found on pages 4 and 5 of the For the strength of Youth pamphlet? (Provided)
11: Will you begin and end your date with a prayer?

{From the For Strength of Youth} A date is a planned activity that allows a young man and a young woman to get to know each other better. In cultures where dating is acceptable, it can help you learn and practice social skills, develop friendships, have wholesome fun, and eventually find an eternal companion.
You should not date until you are at least 16 years old. When you begin dating, go with one or more additional couples. Avoid going on frequent dates with the same person. Developing serious relationships too early in life can limit the number of other people you meet and can perhaps lead to immorality. Invite your parents to become acquainted with those you date.
Choose to date only those who have high moral standards and in whose company you can maintain your standards. Remember that a young man and a young woman on a date are responsible to protect each other’s honor and virtue.
Plan dating activities that are safe, positive, and inexpensive and that will help you get to know each other. Go only to places where you can maintain your standards and remain close to the Spirit.
Young men generally take the initiative in asking for and planning dates. Always be kind and respectful when you ask for a date or when you accept or decline one. While on a date, be courteous as you listen to others and express your own feelings.
As you enter your adult years, make dating and marriage a high priority. Seek a companion who is worthy to go to the temple to be sealed to you for time and all eternity. Marrying in the temple and creating an eternal family are essential in God’s plan of happiness.

1 Corinthians 11:11; Doctrine and Covenants 46:33

 Thank you so much for having the courage to ask a girl on the date. I wish I had dated more in high school. It is a important part of growing up, and I am so thankful that my little sister is able to have fun, and learn new skills. She is so special to me, and you should know that if I approve your request, I am trusting you with one if the most valuable people in my life, and I expect her to be treated as a princess. I want you to know, that the standards which have been given to us to follow will keep you safe as you have fun and enjoy being a teenager. I know that there are living prophets and apostles on the earth today who truly do receive guidance from Heavenly Father. Joseph Smith really did restore Christ's church to the earth, and that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. I invite you to read it, and pray about how you can apply the things it teaches to your life. 

15 And upon these I write the things of my soul, and many of the scriptures which are engraven upon the plates of brass. For my soul delighteth in the scriptures, and my heartpondereth them, and writeth them for the learning and the profit of my children.
16 Behold, my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord; and my heart pondereth continually upon the things which I have seen and heard. (2 Nephi 4:15-16)

One last thing to remember!

45 Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven.
46 The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of righteousness and truth; and thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever.  (D&C 121:45-46)

With love,
Elder Jorgensen

No comments:

Post a Comment